KYTHNOS INFORMATION

Kythnos is an island of Cyclades between Kea and Serifo (West Cyclades) 56 nautical miles away from Pireus Port and only 2 hours away from Lavrio Port.

Administratively belongs to the district of the southern Aegean.Kythnos is an island of Cyclades between Kea and Serifo (West Cyclades) 56 nautical miles away from Pireus Port and only 2 hours away from Lavrio Port. Administratively belongs to the district of the southern Aegean.It has also been called ‘Thermia’ , at least since the 12th century, when it was referred as ‘‘Episcopacy of Kea and Thermia’’.

This name comes from the hot springs that exist till today in the bay of baths. It is said that king Othonas and queen Amalia enjoyed the baths of Kythnos (1837-1862). Kythnos has an area of 99.3 sq.km. and a length of coastlines about 104 km , with 92 coves, bays, and beaches, most of whom are approachable by car.On the island there are 2 Mediterranean villages, Chora- Messaria with 806 residents and Dryopida with 797 inhabitants (2001 census). In addition, there are three main coastal settlements : the main harbor of Merihas with about 250 residents, Loutra with thermal springs, and Panagia Kanala with the homonymous church. Kythnos has a daily transport with Pireus and Lavrio port.

The municipality of kythnos includes the island of Kythnos and the around islands and it constitutes the settlements Chora, Dryopida, Agios Dimitrios, Agia Irini, Agios Stefanos, Apokrousi, Loutra, Naousa, Gaidouromantra, Episkopi, Kalo Livadi, Kanala, Leukes, Liotrivi, Merihas, Skylou, Flampouria, and Piperi island.